Sunday, July 12, 2009

As you may have already realised, the last couple of days have again been somewhat tough, hence no updates to my blog.
The cumulative side-effects of the radio-therapy continue to wreak havoc. My voice has now been reduced to a whisper. Only problem is that the wife, children and dog have taken advantage and are doing as they please, taking comfort from the fact that I cannot shout.
Only 6 radio-therapy sessions remain now, after having completed 28. Almoost the same as the last kilometer or two when riding the Cape Argus Cycle Challenge. Had my last chemo session this past week. The oncologist mapped out what lies ahead after the radiation tyreatments are completed. I really want to get my flying medical back as soon as possible. I will see the ENT immediately after the radiation treatments are completed and again 12weeks later. Based on what he sees a report will be generated to the Institute of Aviation Medicine who will then make a decision. At the moment it would appear that the ENT and oncologist's (hopefully favourable)report will allow my flying medical to be granted. After that I will have regular follow-up sessions with the ENT and oncologist and if I remain clean for 2 years, I can consider myself cured.
I would like to thank all of you who have so generously and unselfishly given both support and encouragment, not only to me but to Margi as well. You will never know how much it has meant.
I hope to later turn this blog into an on-line forum which will allow greater interaction and through that medium I hope that others would also be able to receive help in one form or another.
Right now I need to conserve my energy and get as strong as possible for the week that lies ahead.

6 comments:

  1. Well done Grant to have picked yourself up again, knowing how hard it must be for you. So proud of you. Just 6 more to go. Planning a huge celebration here in KZN for the 20th!!
    Lots and lots of love, Sue xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dearest Grant,
    You are in my thoughts and prayers EVERYDAY! Love the blog!! As Jonts said, can't wait for the book...and the autograph!! You're truly incredible...your strength is such an inspiration...just stay strong, positive and wishing you a speedy recovery! A big hug and lots of love, Candice x o x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Dearest Grant, You are doing so great - just keep pushing forward. You are in my thoughts & Prayers. Love and Blessings. Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  4. Angel blessings and healing to you Grant. May you take one step closer to your goal each day and before long you will reach the summit. Hope to pop in to see you when I am in JHB this weekend.
    Angel blessings always.
    Kym

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Grant, apologies for the fact that it has taken us so long to let you know that we have been thinking of you and praying for your speedy recovery. We had an update from Margi too over the weekend on your progress and it sounds like you are well on your way to getting your 'shouting' voice back. Please hang in there, stay strong, this is afterall just another school lesson! Will try to be in touch a little more often from now on. With much love, Julian, Luisa and Gina.

    ReplyDelete